Dance/movement therapy facilitates the integration of the body, mind, and spirit. Through the integration of observation, psychotherapeutic use of movement, and psychological theories, physical, medical, cognitive, behavioral, spiritual, and social issues can be addressed. As a Registered Dance/movement therapist, when words are sometimes not enough, one will look to the body for communicating and expressing deep rooted thoughts and feelings. Our Dance/Movement Therapist works from this holistic approach to therapy and is person centered and genuine in developing a therapeutic relationship that focuses on three components of the individual: mind, body, and spirit.
Benefits of Dance/Movement Therapy for clients include:
- Connecting to emotional states that have manifested physically and mentally and opening one’s awareness to how the body reflects ones mental state.
- Releasing feelings that have been psychologically repressed in the unconscious.
- Providing a bridge between verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Improving clients’ self-esteem, social skills, body image, coping skills, and behavioral patterns.
- Developing effective communication skills and maintain positive relationships.
- Gaining insight into clients’ behavior patterns when dealing with issues, problems, and stressful situations.
- Therapist uses movement as a form of therapeutic assessment, intervention, and interaction.
- Therapist uses movement and creativity in addition to traditional counseling methods for therapeutic assessment, intervention, and interaction.